One of the most important things about SEO Reporting is to make the benefits tangible.
The easiest way to do so is to perform extensive Google Analytics on the website. This should include, among others :
- How many visitors from how many sources
- Top Traffic Sources
- Average time on site
- Navigation Path
- Top exit pages
- Breakup of paid, referral, organic and direct traffic
- Top Referral Sources
- Goals & Conversions (e.g, How many people went to contact page and How many made an enquiry)
- Benchmarking to compare site performance with competitors or the Macro environment.
- New Revenue Generated (This can only be done for sites which sell online)
If the site does not sell online, the SEO consultant should encourage the client to track lead conversions on a CRM and quantify value.
Done like this, SEO is an Investment and not a cost.