You are running an online business; but, unfortunately, not many people know about it. Why? Because, you have not been able to market it well. And, if you are not on page 1 of Google for the relevant keywords in your industry, you are missing out on a big chunk of revenue.
If you have undertaken SEO activities on your site and still feel ignored by Google, it is time to do a SWOT analysis of why you are not in its good books. Our SEO checklist will help you understand where you are going wrong.
Google simply loves them. Once you have identified the most important ones for your business, make sure you have them in the right places.
- Domain Name and Web page URLs – Having a keyword as the first word of the URL will do a world of good for your site.
- Title Tag – Incorporate them close to the beginning of the tag; the first 20-30 characters should do just fine.
- Metas – Make sure every word in your Meta Keywords tag appears in the content of the page. Search engines hate it when your pages border on irrelevance.
- Content – Why not have those at the top of the page, in bold, large fonts? And, please don’t go overboard.
- Alt Tags – Describe the image; do not fill this tag with irrelevant keywords.
Site Navigation & Linking
Structuring your website well and making way for comfortable navigation will help both your users and search engines.
- Internal Pages – When linking to pages within your site, incorporate essential keywords wherever possible. In the code, the filename ‘linked to’ should have your keywords and be hyphenated, with max two or three hyphens.
- Valid Linking – Whenever you make changes on your site, validate your internal links, either manually or using an online tool. Leading Google search crawlers to an invalid link or page will cost you dearly.
- Three Clicks – All your important pages should be accessible at a maximum of three clicks from the homepage. To do so, have a well-organized structure, with most files directly saved on the Root.
- External Links – Look only to good, reliable sites; stay away from link farms. Carry out your link building activities with care and make sure you do not end up damaging your online reputation by having useless, irritating links on your site.
- Outgoing link anchor text – Make it as descriptive as possible and do not drive away from the topic.
- Stabilize – Do not keep altering your linking structure every now and then. Keep it stable over time and avoid link churning.
By adhering to these simple and basic guidelines, you can boost your SEO campaign